← Contents
Page 461 of 496
No. 596
Filed JULY 8, 2026
Foreign Policy
Second Term

Trump Fires Cruise Missiles At Two Iranian Railway Bridges Three Months Into The Ceasefire He Declared, Resolving Long-Standing Concern That The Peace Was Still Holding

The Filing

WASHINGTON. Reaffirming his administration's unwavering commitment to the ceasefire he personally announced in April, President Donald J. Trump on Wednesday ordered U.S. cruise missiles to destroy two railway bridges in northeastern Iran, marking the first American strike on Iranian infrastructure since the truce took effect and resolving a long-standing concern that the region had gone nearly three months without a fresh American act of war.

The strikes, carried out as the President attended a NATO summit convened to celebrate collective defense, targeted the Aq Taqeh Khan bridge in Golestan province, a span that carries trade between Tehran and China. Administration officials described the operation as fully consistent with the peace process, noting that nothing preserves a fragile ceasefire quite like reminding the other party what happens when it ends.

Iran's Foreign Ministry called the attack "a grave war crime" and accused Washington of violating two articles of the memorandum both sides had signed to end the war, a characterization the White House dismissed as premature given that the war it referred to had been declared over. It was the second night of strikes in two days, a pace officials said reflected the seriousness with which the President takes the maintenance of peace.

"The ceasefire is holding beautifully," said one source within the administration, speaking on condition of anonymity as a second wave of missiles was still in the air. "We are simply making sure it continues to hold, one bridge at a time, until there is nothing left standing that could threaten it."

Analysts noted that the destroyed bridges formed part of a corridor linking Iran to China and Russia, meaning the strike intended to isolate Tehran had succeeded chiefly in delivering it more firmly into the arms of the only two powers positioned to rebuild the crossings. Pentagon planners characterized this outcome as a detail to be addressed in a later phase of the peace.

At press time, the President had stepped away from the summit podium to declare that no administration in American history had done more for stability in the Middle East, pausing only to authorize a third night of airstrikes to protect it.

Sourced to the public record · presented without editorial embellishment
← No. 595No. 597